Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mantelscape Before and After

Yesterday, after a morning conversation with my husband about 'cutting back on our spending' I decided that rather than pining for all new furniture and decor in my den, as I've been obsessing about for the past few weeks, I should make do with what I have. 


So first things, first, it was time to declutter the space.  Above is the result of my efforts.  Decluttered, but still a bit blah, right?  In my defense, since moving into this home almost a year ago, we have focused so much on major projects (new roof, tenting for termites, electrical issues out the wazoo) that I haven't really been able to focus much attention on the interior, as you can probably see from this photo ;). 

After decluttering I tried to envision what small (read cheap) additions might make the space more warm and inviting.  I decided it was in need of some greenery and also some better decor above the mantle.  Speaking of the mantle, the style of that corner fireplace has always bugged me!  I really dislike the brown slate surround and the fact that it's so oddly shaped and positioned in the corner of the room.  In any case, I decided to stop obsessing about it and try and make it look a bit nicer.

For any of you on Pinterest or anyone who looks at home decor magazines, you already know that round mirrors are everywhere right now!!  Case in point, the two pics below, which I snagged off of Pinterest.com


And don't those candlesticks look like the ones I DIY'd in my previous post, The miracle that is spraypaint?


In my den redecorating dreaming I had been eyeing up a set of round mirrors on HomeDecorators.com, but at $214 plus shipping, the set was a bit out of reach. 



 So then imagine my delight when, while at Home Depot yesterday, I stumbled upon a Martha Stewart set of five round mirrors for less than $16.00??  This in addition to a $10.00 fern plant really made a difference, don't you think??   


And here's another view, in case you didn't fully appreciate it in the above pic :).


So that's it for now.  I still have a long way to go to get the place looking like my dream home, but every little bit of effort helps to move it in the right direction :).  Have a wonderful day, friends!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You certainly have the decorator's touch! It looks REALLY NICE. Now, whenever you look in that direction, you can congratulate yourself on a job well done. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete