Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Easy Lunch: Stuffed Baked Potato

Here in America we like to keep our baked potatoes pretty simple.  Butter, cheese, sour cream, chives, bacon bits or all of the above for a calorie-laden 'loaded' baked potato.  During one of my trips to England, however, my eyes were opened to the numerous baked potato possibilities by the good folks at Marks & Spencers Cafe :). 

Marks & Spencers, for those of you who don't know, is the quintessential British shop, selling everything from clothes and furniture to high-end groceries and prepared foods.  The top floor of the large department store houses a wonderful little cafe where you will find half of the British elderly population taking their morning or afternoon tea.  They also have lunch items on offer such as sandwiches, salads and the aforementioned variety of stuffed baked potatoes!!

My British in-laws have been here visiting for the past ten days so the other day when my mother-in-law (MIL) and I were contemplating lunch from a very empty cupboard and fridge (after several days of skipping the needed grocery shop), we decided on baked potatoes.  I planned to put out the usual toppings, but then my MIL whipped up a wonderful stuffing that I thought I would share with you all.


Ingredients:
1 can tuna (I prefer solid white albacore)
1 small can whole kernel corn
diced celery
diced bell pepper (preferably red or orange)
mayonnaise (about 1/4 cup)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and spoon over baked potato.  This would also make a lovely sandwich stuffing. 

Another one of my favorite healthy lunches right now is a baked sweet potato with cottage cheese, sliced kalamata olives and sliced jalapenos.  I know this may sound like a weird pregnancy craving, but it is seriously amazing.  Try it, I dare you :).
 
There are so many other options for stuffing a baked potato for a healthy and satisfying lunch or even a light dinner.  Try tuna, cheese and capers or sliced radishes.  Baked potato smothered in baked beans is another British favorite.  The baked potato really does make a quick easy and delicious option.  That's all for today, friends, have a great day!




1 comment:

  1. I will take your dare for the baked sweet potato, but it DOES sound really weird! :) I think it was Aunt Lois who hosted a baked potato dinner one time long ago. She provided the baked potatoes and the rest of us brought toppings to go with them, planning ahead so that everyone didn't bring the same thing. I remember hamburger meat being one of the toppings along with the usual. Chile is good also. Thanks for sharing! :) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete