Monday, August 22, 2011

Simple DIY Bows for Girls

Now that Lily is over a year old and still regularly mistaken for a boy, I've decided it's high time I start adorning her hair with that girliest of accessories, the bow!  I've actually been planinng this for a while, but my plan of attack has been thwarted due to the ridiculous expense of even the most basic bow at children's shops (going price being around $8.00 each!).

So when I spotted some plain metal clips at a beauty supply store recently ($1.88 for the pack!) I decided it was time to put my DIY skills into action, which I did over the weekend. 

The supplies were very simple: glue gun + metal clips + scrap ribbon


As you can see in the picture above, I made quite a few including (from top) a flower clip, classic tailored black bow, and several frilly bows.  The brown and white polka-dot bow actually came with a recent purchase from Henri Bendels :).


And here's a picture of the beneficiary of my efforts, Lily, wearing the black bow.  Doesn't it work well with her new from Aunt Sister (oh, ahem, explanation required here ... she's my aunt and not actually my sister, but my dad calls her sister so ...).  And a quick note on her outfit.  The top is a reversible 'smock' of sorts.  It is adorable and seems somewhat simple so I'm thinking of adding that to my list of future DIY projects :).

And as it's Monday, some words of inspiration for your week ahead, "Does thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of" (Benjamin Franklin).




1 comment:

  1. Now I see what I missed while I was in Montana. Really cute bows--you are so smart! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete