Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Scrumptious Summer Salads

I just love a fresh salad on a warm summer day, don't you?  As such, I thought I'd pay homage to this yummy and healthful lunch option.  To me, a "summer salad" makes use of all the wonderful in-season produce you find during these hot summer months.  But first, a confession ...

Until I moved to California many many years ago, my idea of a salad was a leaf or two of iceburg lettuce, perhaps with a few slices of carrot, and a big 'ol dollop of mayonaise.  When I arrived, however, in this land of milk and honey, I found that a salad can be so much more!!  Still, it took me years to figure out that you can really put just about anything into a salad.  I have my mother-in-law to thank for this realization.  

My mother-in-law, who hails from the UK, is queen of the impromptu feast!  She can seriously throw together something absolutely gourmet out of practically nothing.  Because a trip from the UK is a long and arduous (not to mention expensive!) journey, they usually stay at least two weeks when they come over.  Most people would balk at the idea of their in-laws staying for 2+ weeks, but I am one of the rare few people (along with my husband) who completely lucked out in the in-law department!!  I always learn something new when they're around and the summer salad is something I picked up during one of their trips.

 To create your very own summer salad, take a peek in your fridge and fruit bowl to see what items you have on-hand.  For me, the combination of fruit, nuts, and cheese, tossed with some greens and a balsamic vinagrette, is the perfect combination. 


Here's a salad I made with mixed greens, strawberries, feta cheese, red onion, toasted pine nuts and celery - yumm-o!

Some other fabulous ingredients to try in your salads:
  • cantelope or any melon
  • nuts of any kind (even better when toasted to bring out the flavor!)
  • something crunchy (e.g. cucumber or celery)
  • dried fruit (e.g. cranberries)
  • fresh fruit (apple, strawberries, etc.)
  • leftover cooked vegetables (green beans, brocoli, etc.)
  • cheese of any kind
  • deli slices or leftover meat (for a heartier salad)
So that's it, friends, a super easy and healthy summer lunch (or even dinner) option.  Try it with some crusty bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or have it alone, but do try it this week, won't you? 

2 comments:

  1. I can say from actually getting to taste this sals that it was quite amazing! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what I missed while I was away. Can't wait to try your yummy salad. Do you have a recipe for the dressing? Beautiful picture--looks good enough to eat! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete