Thursday, October 20, 2011

Musings on a very elusive concept ... contentedness

This morning I have been struggling with a common problem ... the problem of contentedness or, more aptly, my lack thereof.  I have always considered myself an optimistic bubbly sort of person, but when my life was recently 'turned upside down' by the birth of my daughter, I found that some of my natural 'fizz' started to go flat.

Some girls dream of the day when they will be grown with a home and family of their own, but this was never my dream.  I always assumed that at this age I'd be working my way up some corporate ladder wearing fabulous six-inch Jimmy Choos rather than schlepping around in jeggings with yogurt encrusted oatmeal as my 'signature' accessory.  Of course, as soon as I entered the working force many years ago and began the harried rat race that is corporate America, I knew that this was probably not the pathway that would lead to contementment. 

As such, when I had the opportunity several years later to stay at home as a full-time homemaker I jumped on it.  People were generally amazed that such a thing still existed (i.e. a homemaker with no kids) and were beyond suspicious at how exactly I filled my time each day.  But being a naturally productive (though lazy) person, I managed to fill the days with loads of activities.  I spent ages trying to learn to keep the house clean and learn to cook for my husband (my pre-marriage repertoire consisted of canned tomatoe soup and grilled cheese sandwiches).  I also regularly took on little 'projects' such as charity work, getting my real estate license, some event planning, etc.  In this way, I happily passed several years before giving birth to our first child.

Since Lily's birth, my days are no longer my own and I think this has been a real challenge for someone who had enjoyed such independence for so many years.  In the very beginning I struggled every single day to cope with my baby's 'neediness'.  I thought she should just fit in with my schedule and assumed that, other than feeding and changing her, she somehow wouldn't interfere with my goals and objectives - wrong!  It took about six months of 'fighting it' before I realized that the only way to be content (not to mention sane) was to give in and allow this little bundle to essentially take over and be the priority.  Since accepting this fact, I have been much more content.

However, I still struggle on a day-to-day basis with being 100% content with my lot ... er um, blessing ... as a stay-at-home mom.  If I take a moment to look around I can see that I am truly fortunate with so many things to be thankful for: a wonderful husband, a nice home in America's finest city (San Diego), a healthy daugther, good health personally, etc.  So clearly the path to contentment does not lie in our possessions or circumstances. 

How then can we become content?  My wise mother gave me some great advice this morning when she suggested that I look at God's Word for the answer.  Specifically, she suggested I look at the concordance in the back of my Bible for verses related to 'contentedness'.  Being a gen X'er I immediately googled 'Bible verses about contentedness'.  Below are some of the verses that I found, that I personally connected with.

Proverbs 14:30
A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.

Proverbs 15:13
A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.

Ecclesiastes 3:12-13
I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil-this is the gift of God.

Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him-for this is his lot. Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work-this is a gift of

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

So essentially it seems that these verses about 'contentedness' actually tell us to be happy and joyful, which is kind of what contendedness is, right?  I mean, you can't be happy and joyful unless you're content, and you can't be content unless you're happy and joyful?  So is God telling us to fake it until it becomes reality?  No, I don't think He is. 

Rather, I think that the only way one can actually latch onto contentment is through prayer and a personal relationship with Christ.  If Christ is the giver of all things good, then this would make perfect sense.

So the first step in being content IMHO is a relationship with Christ.  If you don't personally have a relationship with Christ, I encourage you to seek Him and you will find Him.  "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16. 

Obviously simply becoming (or being) a Christian doesn't guarantee contentedness, but it's a very good place to start and one of my favorite quotes from Pinterest this week says "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".  And that is very good advice, my friends!  So let's all start here today, where we are, and seek to be more content.  Have a blessed Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I personally think it's all about attitude. When I get in funks and am not in a contended place (like happened so often in various jobs), I found it possible to get out of the funk and be content by simply changing my attitude. It doesn't seem like an easy turn of the switch and I don't know how I do it, but somehow, I tell myself that I've decided to make it work, and it comes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a post! Lots of deep thinking! You are right on! I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete