Friday, September 9, 2011

My Guide to Fashion's Top Pics for Fall/Winter 2011

After a three-day heat wave here in San Diego the weather has finally turned cooler, almost like Fall, which apparently has begun!  Like many women when the weather turns cool, I have almost inexplicably started obsessing about my 'Fall wardrobe', a thing that completely stupefies my poor husband!! 

So today I thought I would share my top pics for creating my ideal Fall wardrobe and hopefully in a future post I can post some of my outfits for the season. 

As any good stylist knows, a great wardrobe begins with a great theme, and the theme I came up with just happens to be one of this Fall's biggest trends ... "Romantic English Countryside".  This is particularly fitting for me since I'm a huge Anglophile :).

STAPLES FOR THE "ROMANTIC ENGLISH COUNTRYSIDE" LOOK

A velvet sports coat in green, burgundy, black or any deep rich color is a staple in any Fall wardrobe!  Go for a classic fit to ensure wear-ability for years to come!!

Tall equestrian-style riding boots in a luxurious leather are another staple for this look.  I love the look of these Tory Burch boots (below).  With these boots you can feel like a wealthy British aristocrat for far less than the cost of an English country house :).


Here's a black equestrian-style boot paired with black jeans, a plaid shirt and the quintessential English countryside hunting dog, a Brittany Spaniel :).  I so so so want a Brittany Spaniel this season ... or any season for that matter!!


A selection of soft v-neck sweaters and cardigans for layering are a requirement in the cold English climate, but work well pretty much anywhere in the cool Fall months.  This Fall I will wear mine over the new denim collared shirt (another trend) I hope to acquire!


I also love the look of a chunky sweater paired with a light-weight dress and boots (above).  This is a great way to make use of your Spring/Summer dresses well into Fall!  And on cooler days you can add some thick tights for additional warmth!

MY PERSONAL FALL/WINTER FAVORITES AND CLASSICS

Fur anything!! Fur vests, fur on boots, fur collars, you name it, I love it ALL.  And of course, being the animal lover that I am, I'm talking faux fur here people!! No innocent little foxes or chinchillas need to lose their lives for faux fur!

A pair of well-fitting dark-wash jeans are an absolute must and closet staple year-round! 

A classic black (or gray) pencil skirt is a beautiful addition to any wardrobe and this Fall I will pair mine with feminine blouses with ruffled fronts and/or ties around the collar, both of which seem to be a big trend for this season.  I especially love the tailored Chanel'ish look that an all black and white outfit provide (see below).


Burgundy lips are also a must for cooler months.  I love the clean look of this model's make-up (below).  These dark lips are an absolute show-stopper!  The bare eyes, save for the thickly applied mascara and exquisitely groomed eyebrows, give this look a coquettish appearance, which I love!


OTHER TRENDS FOR FALL/WINTER 2011

A cape or poncho worn over skirts, dresses, jeans or slacks is a fun addition to this Fall's trends.  While not everyone is a fan, I absolutely adore the look of the beige/khaki poncho worn over an all denim look, as seen far-left in the image below.  I think the hat is almost mandatory in pulling off the look, so keep your fedora out, as it can continue to be of service this season!


Denim collared shirt (see 'poncho' pic above).  This staple can be paired with just about anything, but is especially hot in a denim-with-denim look (again, see above). 

Leopard print everything, from shoes and handbags to jumpsuits, this is the animal print of the season.  I have always been a huge fan of this gorgeous print as far back as I can remember.  I seriously saved my money to purchase a leopard print hat back in the early eighties when I was maybe 11 years old!  So, yeah, I already have some leopard print items to work this season :).



The shoe pictured above actually combines two of this season's hot items - leopard print and the 'loafer' heel.

Metallics that shimmer are another Fall 2011 trend to watch for.  I have a long-time love of anything shimmery so luckily already have a few of these fun pieces in my wardrobe that I plan to drag out and dust off! 

1940's Style Dresses is another trend that I'm excited about this season ... so flattering and feminine.  I absolutely love the ones on offer at http://www.shabbyapple.com/.

And finally, one more trend that I plan to jump on board with is the polka dots trend.  This season, polka dots take center stage and replace my other all-time-favorite, stripes!  I love the gorgeous sheer dotted blouse in the picture below.  This would look amazing with that pencil skirt referenced above!! 



And while there are many other trends this season, I hope you've enjoyed the ones I picked to feature in this blog.  Stay tuned for future posts on how my Fall wardrobe 'project' is coming along :).  Have a wonderful weekend, friends!!!




4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! I've never thought about a seasoned wardrobe in my life - guess that's partly why I look the way I do! :-) Maybe we should be knitting some of these sweaters, cardigans or ponchos....? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of boots from my time in Boston, but I don't trust San Diego to get cold enough for me to actually wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lori, I love it that you so far surpass me in so many ways! I could learn a lot from you. I remember fondly how you always loved anything with a fur look, and I remember your hat! You wore it so proudly. I enjoyed your blog and picked up a few tips, so thanks. Lovingly, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tiffany, thanks, I would LOVE to knit a chunky cable knit sweater for Fall!! @MasseyFamily, you can totally wear your boots here! Just pair with shorts or skirts/dresses :). And @SueJenkins, thanks for all your lovely comments throughout my blog. I am so glad you are an avid reader and I always love reading your comments :).

    ReplyDelete